Saturday, August 7, 2010

End of Season Banquet

UPDATE: The end of season banquet will be held this coming Friday, September 10th at 5:30pm at the recreation center. Please plan on bringing a dish to share with others as we come together to celebrate the great summer season.

The Torpedo will hold an end of the year pot-luck banquet prior to the start of school! Please continue to check for updates as to the date, time, and place.

Most swimmers will be receiving some award, so please plan to attend!

Thanks for a Great Season!

Thank you very much to all members of the Torpedo family for making this a great season.

At the Tarheel Swim League Championship Meet, the Torpedo ended in 4th place behind champion Morganton Swim Club, McDowell Mariners, and the Granite Falls Sharks.

Despite the rain, most of our swimmers had a great meet, achieving best times in many, if not all, of their events. Special recognition goes to Gunnar H. for tying for third place in the 8 &U Girls High Point Award, Alec B. for tying for third place for the 15-18 Boys High Point Award, and finally Grant G. for tying for first place in the 15-18 Boys High Point Award.

Congratulations to everyone for a successful and fun season!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Transylvania!

Tonight we will be swimming against the Transylvania Aquabats in our final home meet of the season! Please be on time for our warm-up, and please stick around until the very end of the meet!

UPDATE: After speaking with the coach of the Aquabats and consulting various weather information services, it has been decided that the meet this evening IS CANCELED. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused swimmers and their families.
The first concern for the coaches is safety of all swimmers and their families, especially those traveling to swim. Forecasters are predicting storms along the route from Transylvania to Valdese, as well as storms here this evening. With the uncertainty surrounding the ability to complete the meet, as well as hazardous travel conditions, coaches decided it is in the best interest of the swimmers to cancel.

UPDATE: As of 1:30pm, there is little change in the forecast for Valdese. According to the Weather Channel, there is a 70% chance of thunderstorms developing around 4pm, 35% chance around 5pm, followed by little to no chance of storms until around 8pm this evening. Between 7pm and 8pm, the chance of storms increases from 10% to 60%, and the chance of storms will not fall below 50% until after 10pm. Coaches from Transylvania and Valdese are in touch discussing the safest course of action for the swimmers.


UPDATE: As of 10:45am, the National Weather Service forecast for Valdese is as follows:
Today: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Given this forecast and the distance our guests are traveling to swim this evening, there is a possibility the meet this evening will be canceled. Please continue to check back during the day for more updates. A final decision will be made by 3pm.